Happy New Year, blogosphere! It has been AGES since I've written, I know. But life has swept me away again. I think the last time I wrote I had just moved back to the States and was settling into the craziness that is NYC living. Well, seven months later and all is calm...well, calmer.
Last time I wrote I was in the midst of pulling my hair out writing cover letters, burning the midnight oil (and not to mention my eyeballs from computer screen glare) applying to jobs, and living a life of somewhat luxury as a broke ama de casa (desperate housewife indeed!). Although I had a few nervous breakdowns due to freaking out over the lack of responses to my job applications (and, consequently, watching my funds shrink down to nothing), I must admit being unemployed for 3 months was actually a blessing in disguise--it gave me the time to slow down, recharge my batteries, reflect about life and to truly enjoy and appreciate all the simple and beautiful things that living has to offer. Very few of us are blessed to have this reflection time and I'm truly grateful for it because I believe it helped me get where I am today.
So where is Alyxe today? I'm incredibly happy--I have a roof over my head, the ability to buy food, I have a job I enjoy, an old bag of bones cat who brings an extra ray of sunshine (and snot and vomit) to my life everyday, and an amazing partner who loves me and makes me feel like I can do anything. What else could I ask for? Yes, another few thousand a month would be nice since life in NYC is anything but cheap or easy, but I am happy and blessed to be where I am. Right now. At this moment. Lest we forget that the present moment, the now, is all there really is.
So yes, I am enjoying my present very much. My work with Change for Kids, is extremely gratifying, if at times emotionally difficult (I work in under-resourced NYC public schools--'nuff said). My work has convinced me even more of my lifelong passion of making a difference in the lives of children and communities, and has reinforced my belief that education (and I'm not just talking about traditional education) is the single most important thing in making that difference. Although I often complain about my commute, I actually really enjoy that my work takes me all over the City. I have become quite a pro at navigating the NYC subway system (which seemed impossible to me 3 years ago when I first visited the city and stood in front of a subway map for like 20 minutes scratching my head and leaving a resulting pile of dandruff on the subway platform). Even 7 months ago I thought I would NEVER understand why the hell I had to be at the front of the train coming from Manhattan going home (but I learned the hard way when I would keep popping up like a gopher at random exits off of Fulton Street at the Utica stop). I also know now where to look when the train coming alarm is sounding at Utica so I know which train is arriving (not the A or C symbol like I so sillily thought before). And I can finally give tourists directions!!!! Not that I really like tourists (haha, said like a true New Yorker), but I can actually help them navigate the system more than I could before.
Speaking of adapting some native New Yorker habits: I've learned to walk incredibly fast through downtown Manhattan and how to dodge people (aka tourists), bikes and cars; I've learned to only go to Times Square at 2am when nobody's there; I've learned NEVER to go shopping in mid-town during Christmas on a Friday afternoon/early evening; I've learned to completely avoid mid-town Manhattan like the plague if I can (but I do work there one day a week); I've learned I cannot stand 34th Street-Penn Station, 42nd St Port Authority, 42nd St Grand Central, Union Square and Fulton Street subway stops at rush hour; I cannot stand tourists, especially ones who stand in the middle of the sidewalk to stare up at tall buildings or who stop suddenly or pretty much anyone who tries to text and walk; I've learned to be aggressive when getting on and off (particularly getting off) a train (ESPECIALLY the freakin' F train that is ALWAYS packed!); I've learned how to properly pronounce "Houston St" (House-ton, not like Houston Texas or Whitney Houston) and what SoHo and NoHo actually mean); I know the difference between a "Yellow cab/gypsy cab (NOT juicy cab, which I thought LOL)/dollar cab/HOLLA Back!" (from Jay-Z's "Empire State of Mind") and have ridden in all three at least once; I've learned that Jay-Z's moniker is most likely in reference to the J and Z trains; I've learned to fold my pizza in half as to make eating a slice off the street much easier; I've discovered the awesome deliciousness of the Halal food carts at anytime of the day, but especially after a night on the town in Manhattan (which happens so rarely because why do I ever need to leave Brooklyn??); I've discovered that I LOVE Brooklyn and never need to go to Manhattan (except for work, see above); and much more.
My life outside of work is going well too. Back in November, Jeni and I opened our home to her aging cat, Saki, who she had left in the care of a no-kill shelter when she moved to Colombia. Saki at his tender age of 16 or 17 (we are not sure), is not super great health-wise, but is still a lovable old fart, whose hobbies include but are not limited to: napping all day, drinking a LOT of water, making love to his dish of fresh chicken or turkey (that we lovingly cook for him whenever we cook it for ourselves...of course, his is unseasoned); leaving streaks of poop on the couch or bed comforter; sneezing on me after drinking water (which is quite often); head butting with extreme force any body part left exposed (including my nose in the mornings when I'm still tucked under the covers); trying to meow with meaning when I'm making his food but sounding more like a dying mouse (or just opening his mouth and no sound coming out at all); and becoming a permanent accessory of Alyxe (he ALWAYS sits on me). I've completely fallen head over heels with this guy and all I can hope for is that he hangs in there for a bit longer cuz I can't imagine life without him now.
When I'm not loving Saki, I'm loving chilling at home with my other Love, watching our favorite shows (The Following, Scandal, RuPaul's Drag Race--which starts again this month!--and anything on the FoodNetwork) while of course enjoying a nice glass (or two!) of wine or cocktail. On occasion we go "out" on weekends, out being to a friend's house usually or a local restaurant/bar (if funds allow). I'm not one to go clubbing anymore (haven't been to a club in probably 2 years), but I do occasionally get the ganas to go dancing. So maybe for my 31st, which is coming up next week (gasp!), I can fit some type of dance night in, even if it's in the comfort of my home, in my pajamas, with a few of my close friends (and Saki, of course, who loves to stare at me when I dance/sing in the living room).
Jeni and I were also blessed to be able to fly home to California for the holidays so she could meet my fam and get to know the Central Coast. We had a lovely time, soaking up the unseasonably warm weather (72 on Xmas day!), visiting the Aquarium where Jeni fell in love with the otters (how do you become an Otter Spotter?), eating clam chowder on the Wharf, killing my parents at Scattergories, and just enjoying our time off from work. It was probably the best holiday I've ever had, filled with good food, laughter and love and surrounded by all my favorite people. We also got to spend Thanksgiving with Jeni's family in Connecticut, which was also a FABULOUS time! I cannot be more blessed in the family department!
So long story short, the last 7 months have been an incredible time of transition, new beginnings, personal and professional adjustments, and growth in my relationships with old and new friends and newfound family. My life continues to be an incredible and exciting journey, with more twists and turns than a roller coaster, and I wouldn't have it any other way!
So long for now fam and friends. Stay tuned for more later!
No comments:
Post a Comment