Tuesday, February 11, 2014

REFLECTING ON UNCONDITIONAL LOVE

Started my week out rough...last night we put our dear Saki to sleep.  Since about mid-week last week he was showing signs of rapid deterioration, specifically with regards to use of his legs.  It pained us to see him stumble drunkly into the kitchen, barely muster the energy to drink out of his water bowl, and begin to find random places throughout the house to relieve himself since he could no longer jump into his litter box.  Last night when we arrived home he could barely lift his poor little head to greet us.  Needless to say, we rushed him to the emergency vet and after a half hour or so of discussing our options, Jeni and I made the hard decision. But I have to believe it was best for the little poophead, especially since he was at least 17 years old and had held on for two years to see his mother again.  Neither of us thought it was fair to leave him in the hospital for days on end, hooked up to all kinds of fluids and meds and strange people poking and prodding him just to figure out he's old.  No, we believed it was best to not prolong the inevitable.  We miss him dearly already, but I am so glad I got the chance, for however short, to be in his life, to show him the love he deserved and to give him that time with a happy, warm home.

How is it so hard to say goodbye?  Waking up this morning I was waiting for him to come jump on the bed and sit on my butt or my chest to get in his morning snuggles and to await the sunrise.  Jeni automatically opened the door of the bedroom cautiously so as to not trip on him as he head butted his way to my face...but he was not there.  Even after only 3 months he became such a part of our lives; a part of our daily routine.  I've said goodbye to so many pets already, but it never gets easier.  And even dealing with his bony butt was a joy that I wouldn't trade for anything.
Shah of Sunrise!
I just don't understand people who don't like animals. How could you not?  They are the perfect embodiment of pure, unconditional love.  They don't care what color your skin is, they don't care what political party you belong to, or if you share your life with a person of the opposite or same sex, or if you are poor or rich, if you're a man or woman, child or adult, if you dye your hair purple or tattoo your body, if you pray to God or Allah or whomever/whatever, or don't believe in anything at all...they don't care about anything else but having food in their belly, a warm place to sleep, and feeling cared for and protected.  Can't we humans learn something from them? They can teach us so much about love, forgiveness, tolerance and peace.  They can teach us about trust, true gratitude, and how to live and appreciate the present moment, which most humans struggle with all of their lives. Saki was a lucky little guy, I know. Not all animals are fortunate enough to have a loving home and although we couldn't afford to spoil him with a bunch of material luxuries, he sure was spoiled with love.  He made this non morning person love my mornings waking up to his head butting my chin and his warm greetings at the end of a busy day of work with eyes full of curiosity and wonder (and hope for a tasty chicken dinner!).  

And now a piece of my being has left and returned to the cosmos.  Of course I'm sad, but I'm also extremely happy to know and feel that he was loved and is loved and that he, along with the other animals that I have been blessed to have as companions in this life, continues to be forever and unconditionally loved.  Thank you, Saki, for coming into my world.  You will always be a part of mine.  Go rest now, my big little Love, until we meet again (and maybe next time I'll be so lucky to be the Shah of Sunrise!).  


Rest in that eternal sunrise, Saki--February 10th, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment